Saturday, October 31, 2009

What inwardness signifies

In this book there is no dogmatizing, far from it; this was precisely what I had wished, since it was in my view the misfortune of the age to have too much knowledge, to have forgotten what it is to exist, and what inwardness is. Under such circumstances it is desirable that an author should know how to withdraw himself...

...My principal thought was that in our age, because of the great increase of knowledge, we had forgotten what it means to exist, and what inwardness signifies, and that the misunderstanding between speculative philosophy and [religion] was explicable on that ground.

-Soren Kierkegaard (Swenson and Lowrie, trans.), Concluding Unscientific Postscript, 1846

2 comments:

  1. Steph! I've only read light secondary sources of European philosophers and didn't realise that they might be this interesting. A definite gap in my knowledge which I don't know if I'll ever have to time to fill. Hotboy p.s. I'm really embarrassed about not reading David Hume, who lived about quarter of an hour from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stephanie,
    an old admirer of your writing,
    an internet acquaintaince,
    just wondering and hoping that perhaps you have more wonderful insights and daily reflections to share? You are indeed a force of good and great wisdom in this world,
    I miss you!

    Anna,
    Sweden

    ReplyDelete